Helping Clients with Family Law Matters for Over 35 Years
Talk to Us Today 561.392.4400

Regarding Parental Alienation

Divorce is emotional, especially when children are involved. When living together and raising children as a couple is not possible, divorce can become even more stressful, not only for parents, but also for their children. If you are facing a divorce, it is important that your children are not affected by parental alienation.

Parental alienation is the process (and result) of the manipulation of a child to show unwarranted fear or hostility toward a parent or family member. It primarily occurs when one parent attempts to damage the relationship between the children and the other parent. Parental alienation is most commonly seen in children involved in a divorce case. It often deprives children of their sense of security and well-being and their right to be loved by both parents. Various acts that usually come under parental alienation include:

  • Prohibiting communication between the child and the other parent
  • Not permitting the other parent to work out his/her parenting time with the child
  • Negatively influencing the child’s perception of the other parent
  • Making offensive comments about and bad-mouthing the other parent to the child
  • Embarrassing, name-calling or fighting with the other parent in front of the child
  • Trying to make the child believe that the other parent does not love or want to spend time with them
  • Questioning the child after timesharing and using the child as spy during timesharing

Sadly, children who are the victims of parental alienation often suffer significant and enduring emotional trauma. In extreme cases, it can eventually result in permanent damage to the relationship between the child and his or her other parent and affect the child later in life during marriage and the raising of children.

Parental alienation can have an impact on family law cases. If you know that your partner is doing something to harm your relationship with your children, you can take that parent to court. The courts can establish or modify orders, and take the necessary actions to have the other parent follow the order.

If you are facing such a situation, it is advisable to seek the help of a Delray divorce attorney who can advise and educate you about your rights and may represent you in the court.

Parental alienation cases can be tricky. It is critical to enlist the help of an experienced attorney to guide you through this situation.