In child custody disputes, Florida family courts put the best interest of the child first. However, the courts cannot know your personal family situation the way you do. You and your spouse are in the best position to decide what is best for your child. A Palm Beach child custody attorney can help negotiate with your partner to find agreeable childcare arrangements.
Today, Florida couples are encouraged to adopt a parenting plan that allows each parent the opportunity to share responsibility for the child. The changing view of the courts reflects changing societal views about parenting. While parents tend to compete for custody and control of the child, the child needs to maintain a healthy relationship with each parent.
Unless there is evidence that a parent is abusive towards the children or spouse, the ideal child custody approach lets both parents remain involved in the life and development of the child. Boca Raton child custody attorneys can help clients develop effective time-sharing or parenting plans that consider the following:
- The recommendation of child health experts, such as psychologists, psychiatrists and social workers
- What is in the best interest of their child
- Depending upon the age and maturity of the child, sometimes, the wishes of the child
- A fair and equitable way to share time with the child during vacations and holidays
- A strategy that allows both parents to contribute to key life decisions, like the education and religious upbringing of the child
At Feldman & Schneiderman, P.L., we encourage you and your spouse to cooperate in developing a fair child custody plan, rather than have the courts impose one on you. For divorced parents, having adequate quality time with your children ensures that you will have a lifetime of precious memories and experiences with them.