Mediated divorce settlements are growing in popularity nationwide due to the many advantages they offer compared to the traditional courtroom approach. Saving time and money top the list of benefits. Skilled Palm Beach County divorce mediation attorneys can help divorcing spouses reach a settlement within a few weeks or months rather than a year or more, as is often the case with a family court trial.
When Florida couples choose mediation, they realize a broad range of benefits, including:
- Both spouses have a chance to express their wishes, preferences and needs
- Each party still has a lawyer advocating for them
- Everything they discuss remains private, rather than the public airing of dirty laundry typical of divorce court
- Mediation encourages compromise and agreements that are mutually acceptable
- Settlements are crafted by the divorcing parties themselves rather than imposed arbitrarily by a judge
When mediation is completed, a judge finalizes the divorce based on that agreement. If the couple is not able to reach compromise and agreement through mediation, they must start over from scratch, including new lawyers to represent them in a courtroom. With the skill and experience a mediation law firm in Boca Raton can provide, the mediated settlement is certain to be legally binding.
Mediation is effective for resolving disputes of all types of hot-button issues, including child custody and property division. While the majority of divorces use mediation successfully, a small percentage finds it difficult to negotiate their own settlement. Palm Beach County divorce mediation attorneys like Feldman & Schneiderman, P.L. have the legal knowledge and experience to advise couples about the risks, costs and likely outcome of mediation.